The Dr. Margaret Burroughs Scholarship
“What Will Your Legacy Be”
You are here.
You’re still here, alive and quick and you have time.
You have time on your side.
You have time to begin even now so get busy and do something to help somebody to improve the condition of life for people now and for those to come after.
To building institutions to educate and broaden the minds for people now and for those who came after and to make your life a contribution that will be your legacy.
Do this and your name will be remembered from now on and into eternity.
From the poem “What Will Your Legacy Be” by Dr. Margaret Burroughs
The Dr. Margaret Burroughs Scholarship Fund
We are pleased to announce the Dr. Margaret Burroughs Scholarship! The Dr. Margaret Burroughs Scholarship Fund was established by Necia Jeffries, at the request of Ms. Jeffries’ late mother, Dorothy Lajewel Myree, to honor the legacy of service of Dr. Margaret Burroughs, the founder of the DuSable Museum. This tribute scholarship will award $2500.00 to an African American single mother who is pursuing educational opportunities. The application period is open now thru Friday, January 4, 2013. The winner will be announced at the 2013 DuSable Museum King Day Celebration on Monday, January 21, 2013.
Please review the application details (below) and share the news of this wonderful opportunity with your friends and family.
- Be an African American single mother, age 17-35 years old, residing in the city of Chicago or its surrounding suburbs.
- Have custodial care of one or more children under the age of 18.
- Be accepted or enrolled in a skills training, GED program, community college, college, university, graduate school, vocational or technical school for the current academic year (2013-14).
- Complete application, including a verification of enrollment letter from a school counselor, administrator, or instructor.
- Write an essay (minimum of 250 words) about why she should be the recipient of the Dr. Margaret T. Burroughs Scholarship.
- Meet the appropriate deadline of Friday, January 4, 2013
Fax to, Attn: Dr. Burroughs Scholarship Fund at 7739470677 or
Mail application to, Attn: Dr. Burroughs Scholarship Fund at
740 E. 56th Place, Chicago, IL 60637
There is no application fee! For further details about the Dr. Margaret Burroughs Scholarship, call 773 947-0600 ext. 290.
Click here to download PDF application: http://goo.gl/2SgWK