A DuSable Museum volunteer is an individual who contributes services that directly benefit the mission of the museum, for which there is no financial compensation. Services are given on a scheduled basis for assigned projects under the instruction of a designated museum supervisor. DuSable Museum volunteers are a diverse group of people who make immeasurable contributions to the advancement of the museum.
Who Can Become A Volunteer?
DuSable Museum volunteers must meet the following requirements:
- At least 17 years of age and an active member of DuSable Museum.
- Volunteer a minimum of 8 hours each month for at least one (1) year.
- Have special skills or the desire to learn new skills that work toward our museum mission.
Volunteers must complete the volunteer application, meet with the volunteer coordinator for an interview, and complete the orientation or training classes necessary for the position.
The DuSable Museum of African American History has various seasonal programs that require the expertise and know-how of our volunteers and docents. Our volunteers provide extra manpower and valuable resources during these programs that our staff might not otherwise accomplish:
- Martinmas Day – Celebrated in January, Martinmas Day is a day that the Museum celebrates the life and times of Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.
- The Annual Arts & Crafts Festival – The Festival is a showcase for local artists and underscores our mission of preserving the history and culture of the African-American experience. Takes place every summer between July and August.
- Founder’s Day – The first Saturday of November is when the Museum celebrates the Founders of the DuSable Museum of African American History through programs and performances.
- The Kwanzaa Karamu – A culturally unique holiday that includes brunch and special performances.
- Penny Cinema Series – Held twice every year (Summer and Winter), this program allows school children of various ages to come into the Museum and view different Afrocentric films for the admission price of one penny.